Powered by Blogger.

The Legal Cheat?

My uncle once said, “Having a runner is as close as you can get to cheating legally in cricket”. Do I agree with him? Let’s see. One. The runner comes in for an injured batsman who cannot run. Now how do we know he truly is injured? That brings up another question why would anyone fake an injury? Let’s take the example of former Pakistan Captain Inzamam-Ul-Haq who looked more like a potato than a batsman (though he was a good opener). He obviously isn’t the fastest man around and it is comparatively easier to get him run out than to run out, say, Shahid Afridi. Now if Inzy calls for a runner and Afridi comes out then the opponent’s chance of getting a good but, slow, batsman out are decreased by quite a bit.

Two. Having a runner reduces the batsman’s fatigue. Why? Simple he doesn’t have to run carrying all that weight in the form of a bat, pads, etc. If rewind your mind back to 1997 you will remember Saeed Anwar’s wonderful century against India where he ran until the score of 40 and then called on a runner and went on to score a record 194. Now if the runner wasn’t there, there is no doubt by the time he reached the score of 100 he would have been tired and might not have played such a wonderful innings.

So how can we solve this problem? Simple. Substitutions Football (Soccer) style. Have an injured player well then substitute him with another player who can do anything from bat to keep to bowl unlike the current Twelfth Man who isn’t allowed to do any of the above. Have 13 or 14 players in the lineup so that you can substitute at least 3 players. Another good advantage of this new rule would be that in match when the coach realizes that say, you shouldn’t have picked 4 fast bowlers and 1 spinner, he can substitute any one of the fast bowlers for a spinner. This will ensure that the opponent needs to change his tactics according to your substitutions and also inject that extra bit of excitement and fun into the game.

So do I agree with my uncle? My answer is a big YES.

Vinay. 

3 Responses to “The Legal Cheat?”:

  1. Hello Vinay,
    I have read your post on The Legal cheat. And it is quite much interesting and kind of true about cricket. I have vancouver pr company and I have to check all my paper work and I have to keep on my eyes to my workers. I check there work twice. So that they can't do any legal cheat with me.
    Thanks for your post. Keep posting.
    Best regards
    Larissa

  2. Yeah, I agreed with you. But now this rule is changed and thanks to board. If you hurt, go out from match. Now they will not give you runner. Even there are more new rules came on 30 september, 2017 and they are so nice.
    Best regards
    Eric stalker
    Moscow mule cups

  3. Unknown says:

    Hello Vinay,
    I have read your Blog Post about a Football rules, Well I agree with Mr. Stalker Rule is changed and Due to new rule a player who has been Hurt He will be Go out from the stadium to the dressing room. I think its good. Well Can you please edit your Post Content Because it is not formatted Properly. Well other side its great Article.

    Keep posting
    Erie Tree Trimmers (from)
    tree service erie pa

Leave a comment